Monday, June 05, 2006

Adventures in cheap digiscoping

A news story outlines one man's story in digiscoping:

You have a camera that takes nice nature photos, but only if the birds are good enough to land directly in front of you.

You have a spotting scope that brings distant birds up close, but the only way to share the image later is to describe it.

I've recently been playing with a way to bring the two together — a bracket that turns my scope into a telephoto lens for a digital point-and-shoot camera.

...

I have a Swift Searcher 60 mm scope with 20X and 40X eyepieces. It gives me a nice, close up view of distant animals. A local retailer told me the camera adapter for my Swift was not available, so I went to where those two words are never spoken — the Internet.

There I found the 841-PA Telemaster Telephoto Adapter. It was listed as fitting the Searcher, so with a credit card and a click of the mouse, it was mine.

Now here's the lesson about the value of dealing with a local retailer. The accommodating Web site neglected to tell me that a piece is needed to connect the 841-PA to the Searcher. Swift no longer makes that piece. It's not available.

Undeterred, I continued my quest. While attending the massive paddle sports sale Canoecopia in Madison, I happened upon the Eagle Optics booth and the Radian UNIVERSAL Digital Camera Adapter. For about $50, I entered the world of digiscoping.

The adapter clamps onto the eyepiece of my scope. The camera screws on by the hole normally used for a tripod. Fine-tuning adjustments move the camera up or down, left or right and in or out so it matches up perfectly with the eyehole.

...

My digiscope setup did capture nice closeups of a downy woodpecker, northern oriole and indigo bunting.

Next, I spent an early morning in a farm field where sandhill cranes shake off their slumber with a leisurely walk and a light breakfast of grubs and corn stubble. The limitations of digiscoping quickly became even more apparent.

To get a clear shot, you need to focus through the scope, which has a very narrow depth of field, and then clamp on the camera. Sandhill cranes standing nearby become sandhill cranes in the distance by the time you accomplish this.

I did get better at focusing through the blurry, little camera viewing screen, but this setup definitely works best on subjects that don't move around much or for focusing on a spot and waiting for the wildlife to come to it.

My own story isn't much different (I'll do a separate post when I have the time). I bought a cheap 40mm Plossl for my Pentax scope to produce the lowest magnification (it improves the exit pupil and brightness of image). It works. I also got a $35 Orion camera bracket...but can produce better pictures by handholding the camera!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home